Monday 10 December 2007

Welcome, to the Machine

Welcome indeed. Pink Floyd there, with a fantastic introductory line to all this blogging nonsense. My name is Mike, and this is the first of what I hope to be a continually updated online opinion piece on the music world, with a heavy focus on proper music, so if you're planning on buying the Shaun the Sheep's Christmas single then go away, there's nothing for you here.

There's a lot of places you can go to read about music these days (some great examples include Drowned in Sound and Pitchfork) which makes this venture sort of like diving into the deep end of a swimming pool, full of snotty nosed, pool wetting, learner children, whilst you are fully in the knowledge that you have no actual ability to swim yourself. It's exciting stuff - not the pool diving (although I'm sure there's a fetish group out there for that kind of thing), but the chance to say what I want to say and give some (hopefully) fresh views. Looking at the way the music industry reports on itself can be rather depressing, what with magazines such as NME and Kerrang! whose 'journalism' seems to lack anything decent to make it worthwhile, and who's idea of a groundbreaking band are Linkin Park or The Libertines.

Pure crap. It's like reading the lines in your own dump.

So there it is. My manifesto. My aims to please. My targets. I'm no 'musical expert' and I never will be (do let me know if you ever find one) but the passion is there, and if passion is capable of making a baby, then you better be damn sure it's perfectly capable of giving birth to a great blog.

Cheers,

Mike

No comments: